Friday, May 25, 2012

WETA UK Launches June 2 - Preview of What is to Come


I opened my mailbox today and saw the cover of WETA Magazine announcing the start of WETA UK on June 2.  In my previous post about this new 24-hour All UK TV channel for viewers in the Washington DC Metropolitan Area (DC, Maryland, and Virginia) I talked about what WETA planned to show in general in this new channel.  


You can go to WETA Programmer's Choice website and get a day by day schedule of what we'll soon see on WETA UK. You can also see clips of some of the shows including the Vicar of Dibley's Handsome Stranger (Part I) with the handsome stranger Richard Armitage:




Richard Armitage and Dawn French

WETA UK will also have a Special British Television Marathon June 2 and 3 showing all the shows or previews from the shows that those in the viewing area will be able to see on the channel. 

If you look at the photos on the WETA Magazine cover you can see other shows I've featured on this blog in the past, like BBC's Robin Hood and MI-5 (Spooks). (Advise to WETA: In future Robin Hood PR make sure to use Guy of Gisborne as well. Your female audience demographics of all ages will increase, I'm sure of it.)

Though I love watching the classic British Television comedies and my favorite shows that I've already mentioned before, I do hope WETA UK brings us some new shows we haven't seen in the US before. Below I'll list a few new or never before seen in the US program suggestions that star or feature some of the cast we'll see in some of the shows already on the channel's schedule:

Richard Armitage (Robin Hood, MI-5, Vicar of Dibley):

Strike Back  (2010)
Miss Marie Lloyd (2007)
The Impressionists (2006)
Sparkhouse (2002)

Dawn French  (Vicar of Dibley)

Roger & Val Have Just Got In (2010-2012)
A Bucket o' French and Saunders (2007)

Rupert Penry-Jones (MI-5)

Silk (2011-2012)
North Square (2002)

Peter Firth (MI-5)

World Without End (2012)

Hermione Norris (MI-5)

Outcasts (2011)
Kingdom (2007)  
Cold Feet (1997-2003)

Mathew Macfadyen (MI-5)

Ripper Street (2012)


Some of the shows I've mentioned above I've seen, or seen some episodes, but many I have not seen, but want to, and I'm sure others do as well. For information on the shows I've mentioned above, go to IMDB. 

I'm also really looking forward to Saturday nights and The WETA UK Movie, which seems to be more UK TV Dramas than movies, at least in June: Place of Execution, The Last Enemy and Tess of the d'Urbervilles.  

One new comedy series that's new to me, but I'm looking forward to seeing on Fridays is Black Books (2000-2004). Just the type of dark, crazy, UK comedy I like the best!


I'll be watching the new channel starting in June, and as I said before, I'll be reporting back once in a while on what I think about the new channel and some of the shows, especially those new to me. 

Thank you again PBS in Washington DC Area for WETA UK! 








6 comments:

  1. I adore Dawn French, especially when she does something together with Jennifer Saunders, those two are hilarious :)
    And you know me has a soft spot for Rupert Penry Jones :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dezz! Agree that we need to see more of RPJ everywhere. Have you watched Whitechapel?
      Dawn French is my hero!
      I wish for an all UK TV channel for everyone.Thanks for your great comment!

      Delete
  2. That's great Fabo - congratulations!

    Those of us in other areas will just need to pester our local PBS stations until they cry uncle and provide WETA-UK.

    It's quite a coincidence that Tess of the d'Urbervilles will be one of the first movies shown, because recently I was reading part of Thos Hardy's biography. Soon as I read title Far From the Madding Crowd, the Gabriel Oak quote of Harry's came to mind.. "..whenever you look up there shall I be." Won't repeat her response because it wasn't the least bit romantic:) haha

    Enjoy the new station - I'll pass the link along to others from your area.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann,
      I'm very excited about it. That's my hope too, that it becomes such a success that other PBS stations will follow with something similar. Good idea to contact your local PBS station.

      Thanks for spreading the word!

      That quote is one of Harry's most romantic! I'll let you know if I watch Tess - don't know what version they'll be showing.

      Delete
  3. Here's an interesting tie-in: WETA Workshop is working on The Hobbit films, same letters as your TV station! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, they're both WETA. Wonder if there's any connection? Even if so many miles away there could be??? Maybe a special Hobbit channel?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...