Friday, August 14, 2020

The Postman (1997) - A Movie For Our Times


I have a friend who is a fan of  Kevin Costner and in the years when he was top of the box office I used to go to some of his films with her.  I like Costner, but wouldn't describe myself as a fan.  

(And in return I convinced her to see a couple of Sean Bean films with me. She never remembered that it was the same actor in the two films!)

In the last few days social media has been talking about a film Costner made in 1997 called The Postman.  I wonder if my friend ever saw the film.  It wasn't one we saw together.

Reading about the The Postman today, I think it is a film worth revisiting right now.

From Wikipedia:

It is set in a post-apocalyptic and neo-Western version of the United States in the then near-future year of 2013, sixteen-plus years after unspecified apocalyptic events, starting with the breakdown of society through “hate crimes and racially motivated attacks (by) a militia-like group” led by Nathan Holn, progressing to war, followed by plagues, that collectively left a huge impact on human civilization and erased most technology. Like the book, the film follows the story of a nomadic drifter (Costner) who stumbles across the uniform of an old United States Postal Service mail carrier, and unwittingly inspires hope through an empty promise of a "Restored United States of America" and starts his path to become a national hero



Update - Found out the movie is based on a novel:



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...