Monday, January 13, 2014

The Hobbit 30 Day Challenge - Day 15

Your Opinion When People Say That It's A Boring Story?




My opinion is that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. 

The fantasy genre is not for everyone. I'll confess it's not my favorite genre. But I like to keep an open mind and have found from Star Trek (the old ones)to LOTR to Game of Thrones to The Hobbit that there are works in the genre that I do like. 

I would say give the story another chance, another look, and keep an open mind. If you're too rooted in reality it probably won't work for you. So try to use your imagination and forget for a moment your daily cares. Try to imagine a world where a dragon is your neighbor. Think of the battle of good vs evil in human history, and then imagine that battle if you're a dwarf, or an elf, or a hobbit. 

Or I would have them read the review of The Hobbit by C.S. Lewis and then read the book again.

For it must be understood that this is a children’s book only in the sense that the first of many readings can be undertaken in the nursery. Alice is read gravely by children and with laughter by grown ups; The Hobbit, on the other hand, will be funnier to its youngest readers, and only years later, at a tenth or a twentieth reading, will they begin to realise what deft scholarship and profound reflection have gone to make everything in it so ripe, so friendly, and in its own way so true. Prediction is dangerous: but The Hobbit may well prove a classic.
Review published in the Times Literary Supplement (2 October 1937)

To read the entire review:


Or you can just enjoy the view



















http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/heirs1.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Eventhough fantasy is my fave genre I also found the first film boring I fell asleep a few times, but I don't think it was about the story but due to the slow pacing and overly prolonged scenes with the pesky little hobbitses :) I expect the second one to keep me wide awake with all of the Elves and Bard the Bowman :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...