Saturday, April 4, 2020

Another Richard Armitage Challenge! Social Distancing Edition #7


What's the best scene ever?

This is such a difficult question because I have many that I love and treasure as the best scene. There are scenes that I love or that stir my emotions in so many of Richard's characters.  I kept going through them in my mind: North & South, Spooks, The Hobbit, Strike Back, Urban and the Shed Crew, The Crucible, the list could go on and on.

What to do?

One of the scenes that came to my mind right away when I was thinking about this question is from The Crucible.  It's my favorite act in the play, Act 2.  I didn't have the privilege of seeing the play live in the theater, but thanks to Digital Theatre I've watched the filmed play several times now.  Including once in a movie theater near me on a big screen.


It's the first time we see John and Elizabeth Proctor together.  


I love the entire scene, from when John Proctor first enters the stage, to Elizabeth's concern that John is late, to his awkward attempts to reconcile with her after his infidelity. The tension and pain between them hangs in the air, but their affection for each other does as well. It's a wonderful scene and heartbreaking as the act continues to it's tragic end. 

This wasn't my first time with The Crucible. I read the play in school. I've seen it on stage long, long, ago. I watched the 1990's film with Daniel Day-Lewis. I relate to the play because of my personal and family history. But now and forever Richard Armitage is my John Proctor.  














No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...