Saturday, May 16, 2020

Another Richard Armitage Challenge! Social Distancing Edition #18 and #19









18 . *Your Consolation Show? (The go-to show when you need distRAction?

Richard Armitage is my consolation.

Whenever I feel melancholic or anguished or disconsolate I turn to watching or listening to Richard Armitage.


It depends on my mood or what consolation I'm craving at the time.  Sometimes I'm in the mood to watch Season 7 and 8 of Spooks (MI-5) because I love Lovely Lucas North. Sometimes I'm in the mood to watch Strike Back and John Porter, because I need a hero. Sometimes I'm in the mood to watch The Hobbit (An Unexpected Journey and Desolation of Smaug), because I need my King. Sometimes lately I find I need to re-watch The Stranger because I need a virtual hug from Adam Price. 






Sometimes I listen to Richard narrating Venetia by Georgette Heyer, because I need a rogue. 


Podcast - Interview with Richard Armitage 




But when I need truly emotional consolation I watch North and South.



After my mother died, when everyone stops calling and taking you to lunch and sending you cards, there came that first weekend when I was truly and totally alone.  And on that morning I thought all those I was closest to are now gone, how can I continue to have hope in life and face the world. 

Suddenly a thought came to me.  I hadn't watched North and South for three years or so, but I knew I had the DVD.  And I spent that first totally alone day watching the entire series. Yes I cried, but at the end I knew I could and must continue to live life.  And I will always be grateful to Richard and to North and South for giving me hope. 

_______


(*and sometimes a touch of Sean Bean for consolation, I have my favorites of his too)




19.   Theatre or small/big screen?

I was so very lucky to be able to see Richard Armitage on stage in New York in Love, Love, Love.  

There is nothing like the experience of live theater. And in a perfect world, if I lived in London, or had the funds to fly around the world to see Richard on stage whenever and wherever there is that opportunity, I might say theater.

And if he's back on the New York stage in the future, I will be there to see him. 

Realistically the best opportunity to see Richard Armitage at work is the small screen.

I feel very encouraged by the success of The Stranger on Netflix.  That is a big deal, it really is.  I hope when all gets back to normal around the world from the Coronavirus pandemic, either because of a successful treatment or a vaccine, that we will see more of Richard in great series on Netflix, or Amazon, or HBO, or the BBC, or any other streaming site or broadcast network.

I hope he produces the Jackman and Evans series and we get to see him as DI Rowan Jackman.  








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...